Sometimes, vacations don’t go according to plan. Get reimbursed the value of the train tickets or rail pass travel days interrupted due to a delay on a connecting flight or train.
If while traveling in Europe, you miss your connecting train trip due to a flight or train delay caused by a mechanical failure or weather, you will be reimbursed the value of the unused connecting train ticket/reservation/travel day.
In the case of a rail pass, this provision only applies in the event the entire travel day could not be used due to the missed connection and does not apply if the missed connection only partially interrupts the use of a travel day.
Missed Connection Caused due to a Flight Delay
- Travellers must provide proof of the delay from the airline documenting the delayed flight or cancellation.
- Train connections departing directly from a train station located at the arrival airport must have a minimum connecting time of 3 hours.
- Trains connections departing from any train station not located at the arrival airport, must have a minimum connecting time of 4 hours.
Missed Connection Caused due to a Train Delay
- Travellers must request a statement from the railway conductor documenting the delayed train or cancellation. Note – in the event the railway conductor is unable to provide a statement of the delay / cancellation, visit the station ticket window where a railway / carrier agent can assist.
- Train connections departing in and out from the same train station must have a minimum connecting time of 20 minutes.
- Trains connections departing in and out from different train stations must have a minimum connecting time of 1 hour.
Travellers without the minimum connecting time noted above for Flight or Train, will not qualify for reimbursement.
Coverage does not apply for missed connections caused due to the traveller arriving late for his or her flight / train or any other reasons other than mechanical / weather delay of the flight / train.
Travellers will either be refunded the value of the unused ticket, travel day, reservation due to the missed connection or the cost of a replacement product(s), whichever is less.
Travellers must purchase a replacement product(s) in order to continue with his/her travel plans.
Request for reimbursement due to missed connection, must be requested within thirty (30) days upon return from Europe. Travellers must submit a statement to RE including the proof from the airline / train conductor of the missed connection, original product(s) purchased, replacement product(s) purchased due to the missed connection, and a brief explanation of the situation.
Paper Products Rail Pass / Train ticket / reservations, not used due to a missed connection must be emailed to Rail Europe including scanned copies of the original ticket, rail pass and or reservation not used, receipt of the replacement product purchased to continue travel, statement from the airline / railroad documenting the weather / mechanical delay. Requests for reimbursement due to a missed connection must be started by filling out this form.
Once the missed connection request has been reviewed, travellers will be notified by email where the original paper passes, tickets, & supporting documents need to be sent to complete the missed connection request. NOTE – the refund in the case of missed connections is only released for accepted claims once the original paper documents have been received by Rail Europe.
E-tickets / E-Passes (Print at Station/Print at Home/Mobile)
To request a refund for an E-ticket / E-Passes due to missed connection, travellers must email the receipt of the replacement product purchased to continue travel, statement from the airline / railroad documenting the weather / mechanical delay.
Start a Missed Connection request for a refund
Requests for reimbursement due a missed connection must begin by filling out the contact us form below.