Renfe Spanish high speed trainsSpain : RENFE
Save ₹ 2,200 with code EUROPE1740 - book 3 months in advance
Save ₹ 1,500 with code EUROPE1724 - book 2 months in advance
Save ₹ 700 with code EUROPE1708 - book 1 month in advance
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from ₹ 2,520
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||₹ 3,150|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||₹ 2,126|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||₹ 2,205|
|San Sebastian||Barcelona||05:28||₹ 1,969|
|Murcia Del Carmen||Barcelona||06:46||₹ 1,260|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||₹ 866|
- Children under 4 years old can travel free on board Renfe trains if they do not require an extra seat. Make sure to retrieve your free infant ticket at the train station before boarding.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
answered | Posted by Shoroug I. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/08/2016
answered | Posted by Little_Koala | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2016
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "App isnt available in Denmark" Olha k. 20/01/2017
Mobile App isnt available in Denmark, beside that everything is good Convenience
- "VERY COMFORTABLE " Omayra m. 19/01/2017
We enjoyed the 3 hours trip to Madrid with entertainment (movie) and comfortable seats. Then in Madrid we take it again to Toledo (about 30 mins.) Convenience
- "Just fantastic." Elizabeth a. 19/01/2017
We have had three long trips on Renfe,run perfectly on time,are very comfortable,smooth and quiet . Look fwd to our next trip. Convenience
- "I got what I needed." Mikhail v. 19/01/2017
I really got what I needed and what I wanted. Very convenient trip, easy online booking. Everything is good. Convenience
- "I’ve got what I needed." Mikhail v. 16/01/2017
I've got just what I needed and wanted. Easy online booking and purchase; convenient schedule; comfort enough even for the family travel. Grasias ! Convenience
- "A good, quick option" Sarah l. 14/01/2017
The train from Madrid to Barcelona is a good, fast transfer option between the 2 cities. The chairs were comfortable and clean and the workers on the train were friendly. We would have appreciated wifi on the train and more secure storage space for the luggage. I would have liked to have more options and better prices on the cafeteria food menu. Convenience
- "Nice trip" Olga s. 13/01/2017
Train arrived on time. Seats were comfortable, lot of leg room, conditioning system was OK for winter (not hot and not cold). There is special place for big suitcases in every train car. Everything was OK. Convenience
- "comfortable with service" Solveig t. 11/01/2017
It was a nice surprise that we were offered lunch at our trip. First time I experience this at a train. Much space for feet; really comfortable. At our return trip we were seated opposite a couple although the waggon was otherwise almost empty. Expensive tickets though. Convenience
- "An okay option" Sarah l. 11/01/2017
The train arrived on time. I would have preferred if wifi was offered on the train as it is an 11-hour trip. The chairs were not very comfortable for an 11-hour overnight ride. It would be much better if the seats reclined or were a bit wider. Also, the luggage storage area was a bit small. Convenience
- "Relaxing transit " Colleen c. 11/01/2017
Our transit from Madrid to Barcelona was very pleasant. The staff were excellent and the lunch provided was very good. Convenience
- "Perfect way to Travel" Lisa r. 07/01/2017
the Renfe high speed train was very comfortable and clean and convenient. It took our family from the center of Barcelona to Madrid center smoothly. It was a little pricey - close to airplane fare, but you avoid the travel to and from airport and the more stringent security check Convenience
- "Special Meals" Ahmad Shahrir m. 06/01/2017
The train ride experience has always been excellent. I normally take the first class ticket for comfort. Meals were served but since I only take halal food, I have not had the opportunity to enjoy this service. On my Madrid - Seville trip, I asked the hostess about this. I was told that I could order a "special menu" at least 24 hours before the trip. I tried searching for this option on the website for the Cordoba - Madrid trip but failed to find it. If it is available on the website, some effort should be made to make this option "more conspicuous". I am definitely sure many others like me do travel on your train. Having this option for "special meals" would surely make your train a much more attractive choice of transport. Convenience
- "Too good to forget." Yao Jen c. 04/01/2017
No hassle at all in booking, taking the train and arrival. So ease to be a part of our trip that we don't even have recollection for a 13 day abroad traveling. Superb. Convenience
- "Madrid to Seville return" Thomas s. 03/01/2017
Clean, safe, spacious and fast. A great trip although a little expensive. Convenience
- "Travel With Style" Aishah Binte l. 28/12/2016
My 2 adult children and I wanted to travel to Madrid by flying but was advised by a friend to use the AVE train instead. Indeed we never reqretted our decision. The process from the security control to the boarding of the train was smooth. We enjoyed our ride and arrived with big smiles on our faces. Convenience