Italian trains: Intercity
Save ₹ 2,200 with code EUROPE1740 - book 3 months in advance
Save ₹ 1,500 with code EUROPE1724 - book 2 months in advance
Save ₹ 700 with code EUROPE1708 - book 1 month in advance
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Italian trains: Intercity
Italian Intercity trains
Intercity trains in Italy are comfortable and offer a quick way to travel between all major cities and towns. They stop more regularly on their route as opposed to high speed trains in Italy. Intercity trains which operate during the night are called Intercity Notte. All Intercity trains in Italy are operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Intercity tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
In Venice, Intercity trains call at the Venezia Mestre railway station.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. No, travel on Eurostar requires a separate ticket. However, many rail passes include discounted rates for the Eurostar called a Passholder fare. To see a list of passes that allow these fares select "details" when viewing fares with a pass.
- A. We are unable to ship tickets purchased on Raileurope outside of your country of residence. We recommend that you have all travel documents in hand before departing from your country of residence.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very accessible and easy to find. Although the physical train station addresses are generally not listed, the stations are centrally located within the city and accessible with the cities public transportation system or taxi. Check with hotel concierge to give you the best directions from your hotel. Taxi drivers know how to get your to your station fast and worry free.
- A. First class on the TGV France-Italy offers large, comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV France-Italy offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. All 1 st class passes are valid for travel in all sleeper accommodations. If you have a 2 nd class pass, you are able to travel in T3 compartments and couchettes. Some T4 compartments are offered in 1 st and 2 nd class. Please be sure to check the details of the fare for the train you wish to travel on to determine what class the T4 is offered in.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Yes all high-speed trains require reservations. Some 1st class trains include meal service in the price of your ticket.
- A. Simply enter 1 passenger on the request page. The results page will display 1-3 passenger rooms depending on what is available. When booking a room that has more than one bed, the compartment is shared.
- A. Generally, dogs are permitted on trains. Sometimes they may need to be contained in a pet carrier, or they may have to wear a muzzle or leash. Dogs normally travel at half the fare of a 2nd class ticket; this charge is payable directly to the conductor. Pets are not allowed on trains in Great Britain, Spain, Ireland, Norway, and Finland. Currently the only animals that will be permitted to travel on the Eurostar are guide dogs for the visually impaired.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
answered | Posted by SADAN K. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2015
'print@home' does these tickets need to be validated on the respective stations? trenitalia does not recognize the booking id and (...)I have booked my tickets on raileurope,in (paris-venice-rome-milan) and i have printed the print@home tickets for my journey in (...)
answered | Posted by ABBASALI H. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2015
I want to travel from paris to cover mt. titlis, bernina express, venice and rome from 17-27 october 2015I want to travel from paris to engelberg to visit Mt. Titlis on 20 Oct 2015, engelberg to chur on 22 Oct to catch Bernina express (...)
answered | Posted by Harish K. | Comments 2 | Created: 13/09/2015
answered | Posted by Alison P. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/09/2015
answered | Posted by esha a. | Comments 4 | Created: 06/08/2015
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Intercity
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Missed our stop" Consuelo m. 06/11/2016
The announcement audio on bored was not clear and was only said in Italian. The station signage was not visible at night. As such we missed our stop and have to take another train back. The ground crew was very helpful in getting us back to Assissi. Value for money Convenience
- "Leg 4 of my mini adventure" Norrie b. 10/09/2016
A journey on my own made so easy and comfortable, but hot. Great ticket system and station signage made it all very easy, and such a beautifully scenic journey. Quick change of trains but all to time so fine Value for money Convenience
- "Not cool" Inger Hanne v. 15/08/2016
The train we were suppose to take had some issues (not sure what) so we got another train. This train was full of graffiti, no air-condition, crowded and uncomfortable. This was the first of two trains we were taking from Genova to Nice. Not a good start, and not at all what we were all excited about. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy and convenient " Ashita m. 01/08/2016
Please remember to validate the tickets at the station before boarding the train as it was our first term so the TT was kind else one can invite 60 euro fine . Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Maria j. 21/06/2016
It was a good trip Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Maria j. 21/06/2016
Good trip Value for money Convenience
- "It’s convenient and fast" Wai Shing s. 24/05/2016
It starts on time and arrives on time. The facilitiy on the train in comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing !!" Sameer s. 06/12/2015
The train was very comfortable and my Family has really enjoyed this wonderful and amazing journey... Value for money Convenience
- "Pictorial Trip" Nilotpal b. 11/11/2015
I along with my family on 1st November traveled from Rome to Pisa, We tok the morning train and reached Pisa on time. The journey was comfortable, pictorial, smooth and punctual. The staff on board was good Value for money Convenience
- "Florence to Pisa" . 01/11/2015
Very quick trip on the fast train. Comfortable journey, good value for money. Did not like having to pay $20 to receive tickets in the post, would have preferred to print off at home.
- "We loved Italian trains and It" Susan r. 30/09/2015
The train accommodation was clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and courteous. We wish the U.S. Had service so good. Value for money Convenience
- "Rome to Pisa" Titus s. 27/07/2015
our particular train was not very crowded o we were able to use the seats next to us for extra space. The view on the trip was stunning! Had great time and got some awesome pictures. Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Mei Ching l. 19/06/2015
Good in all. Worth it. Value for money Convenience
- "Great time " Chingwei f. 27/05/2015
Convenient, also conect other train very well, easy to buy, easy to found, sweet Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful sights" Sofia f. 27/05/2015
Travelling in intercity is wonderful. You feel like you are in a movie and you really can enjoy sights, and what a beautiful sights. Value for money Convenience