Italian trains: Intercity
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Italian trains: Intercity
Italian Intercity trains
Intercity trains in Italy are comfortable and offer a quick way to travel between all major cities and towns. They stop more regularly on their route as opposed to high speed trains in Italy. Intercity trains which operate during the night are called Intercity Notte. All Intercity trains in Italy are operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Intercity tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat Reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
In Venice, Intercity trains call at the Venezia Mestre railway station.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Italo trains offer high speed train services connecting the major cities of Italy such as Milano, Bologna, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, Salerno, Venezia, Torino and Padova. There are several daily connections between the main cities which are served by Italo. There are several daily connections between Milan and Roma and the number of connections will increase in the following years.
- A. On-board Eurostar, you are allowed two medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), and one piece of hand luggage per passenger. Any luggage over the allowance will be counted as excess luggage and will incur a fee. This will be arranged at the Eurostar terminal on your arrival.
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times as you like before Midnight on a travel day.
- A. Rail passes for children are generally half the adult fare. Some passes do not offer a child pass. Child tickets are offered on most trains and vary by train type. They are generally about half of an adult ticket. The Swiss Pass allows children under 16 to travel free when they are traveling with a parent who is holding a Swiss Pass. On BritRail passes, children 5 through 15 are free with each paying adult.
- A. Many people take advantage of additional time they have in a city, then they board their overnight train. You depart from one city and arrive in your destination the next morning, refreshed and ready to start your day. It also saves you money that you may have spent on a hotel.
- A. Gatwick Express arrives in London's Victoria Station.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
- A. No. There are no youth discounts for the extension. You can however have a discount if you are under 26 when buying a German Rail Pass. That means you will travel in 2nd class.
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
answered | Posted by SADAN K. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2015
'print@home' does these tickets need to be validated on the respective stations? trenitalia does not recognize the booking id and (...)I have booked my tickets on raileurope,in (paris-venice-rome-milan) and i have printed the print@home tickets for my journey in (...)
answered | Posted by ABBASALI H. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2015
I want to travel from paris to cover mt. titlis, bernina express, venice and rome from 17-27 october 2015I want to travel from paris to engelberg to visit Mt. Titlis on 20 Oct 2015, engelberg to chur on 22 Oct to catch Bernina express (...)
answered | Posted by Harish K. | Comments 2 | Created: 13/09/2015
answered | Posted by Alison P. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/09/2015
answered | Posted by esha a. | Comments 4 | Created: 06/08/2015
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Intercity
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Missed our stop" Consuelo m. 06/11/2016
The announcement audio on bored was not clear and was only said in Italian. The station signage was not visible at night. As such we missed our stop and have to take another train back. The ground crew was very helpful in getting us back to Assissi. Value for money Convenience
- "Leg 4 of my mini adventure" Norrie b. 10/09/2016
A journey on my own made so easy and comfortable, but hot. Great ticket system and station signage made it all very easy, and such a beautifully scenic journey. Quick change of trains but all to time so fine Value for money Convenience
- "Not cool" Inger Hanne v. 15/08/2016
The train we were suppose to take had some issues (not sure what) so we got another train. This train was full of graffiti, no air-condition, crowded and uncomfortable. This was the first of two trains we were taking from Genova to Nice. Not a good start, and not at all what we were all excited about. Value for money Convenience
- "Easy and convenient " Ashita m. 01/08/2016
Please remember to validate the tickets at the station before boarding the train as it was our first term so the TT was kind else one can invite 60 euro fine . Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Maria j. 21/06/2016
It was a good trip Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Maria j. 21/06/2016
Good trip Value for money Convenience
- "It’s convenient and fast" Wai Shing s. 24/05/2016
It starts on time and arrives on time. The facilitiy on the train in comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing !!" Sameer s. 06/12/2015
The train was very comfortable and my Family has really enjoyed this wonderful and amazing journey... Value for money Convenience
- "Pictorial Trip" Nilotpal b. 11/11/2015
I along with my family on 1st November traveled from Rome to Pisa, We tok the morning train and reached Pisa on time. The journey was comfortable, pictorial, smooth and punctual. The staff on board was good Value for money Convenience
- "Florence to Pisa" . 01/11/2015
Very quick trip on the fast train. Comfortable journey, good value for money. Did not like having to pay $20 to receive tickets in the post, would have preferred to print off at home.
- "We loved Italian trains and It" Susan r. 30/09/2015
The train accommodation was clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and courteous. We wish the U.S. Had service so good. Value for money Convenience
- "Rome to Pisa" Titus s. 27/07/2015
our particular train was not very crowded o we were able to use the seats next to us for extra space. The view on the trip was stunning! Had great time and got some awesome pictures. Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Mei Ching l. 19/06/2015
Good in all. Worth it. Value for money Convenience
- "Great time " Chingwei f. 27/05/2015
Convenient, also conect other train very well, easy to buy, easy to found, sweet Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful sights" Sofia f. 27/05/2015
Travelling in intercity is wonderful. You feel like you are in a movie and you really can enjoy sights, and what a beautiful sights. Value for money Convenience