ICEGermany : DB
- Berlin - Cologne: 04:19
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
- A. All ICE trains convey a Bordbistro and/or a Bordrestaurant. Depending on the time of the day, you can choose from various breakfast menus to suit any taste or main dishes from the "à la carte" menu. In addition to the standard dishes, the menu often features German and European regional specialties freshly prepared. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages which you can enjoy there or take back to your seat. In 1st Class coaches a selection of beverages and meals from the menus can be served at your seat on request. Snacks and beverages are also available at your seat in 2nd Class on ICE trains.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
- A. Reservation is only compulsory for ICE Trains called ICE Sprinter as these trains have special services such as a meal and newspaper. Here is the list: Hamburg HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Frankfurt HBF- Berlin HBF, Berlin HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Hamburg HBF – Koeln HBF and Koeln HBF – Hamburg HBF. Passes valid to travel within Germany cover Eurail Global and Select Passes including Germany / Eurail Germany-Benelux Pass / Eurail Germany-Denmark Pass / Eurail Germany-France / German Rail Pass.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. ICE trains link major German cities from Cologne in the west to Berlin in the east. But they also cross borders and go into France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
- A. ICE trains offer two travel classes: Standard and First. On First Class, some coaches feature individual video screens. Electric sockets for laptops or DVD players can be found in most First class carriages. Quiet zones are also reserved for passengers who want to travel in peace.
- A. You can book your ICE train up to 3 months in advance.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags/suitcases plus 1 piece of hand luggage and every piece of luggage must be labelled. Luggage can be stored in the racks above your seat on ICE trains.
answered | Posted by Neo | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2016
answered | Posted by Emilija K. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2016
answered | Posted by suresh k. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/10/2016
answered | Posted by Robert L. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/10/2016
answered | Posted by Xinyi Z. | Comments 2 | Created: 11/10/2016
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Lively people to travel with" Muhammad Tariq s. 24/10/2016
Enjoyed my trip with a group of young people singing all the way! Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent" Noel f. 17/10/2016
Was a great trip. Comfortable and the personal very friendly. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Experience " Ateeq s. 05/10/2016
Accurate Timing. Comfortable coach, Welcoming staff, Updated information system all were available in ICE. Booking office staff were rude, were taking lot of time in responding. Value for money Convenience
- "Seat/Coach Number" Nur Ruzanna m. 04/10/2016
I have sent my review for my other trip. It is the same. Poor seating/coach arrangement. People (mostly first timer) do not know how to search for their seat once they on board. People are moving with their luggage and it is hard. At the platform, we do not know where should we wait for the correct wagen/car/coach to be able for us to look for a correct seat. The staff at the waiting platform is not helping. They can always use sign language if their English is not good. We can understand that. But, no effort shows. Value for money Convenience
- "convenient" Charles p. 03/10/2016
train was delayed by 5 mins, but clean and good. Value for money Convenience
- "efficient and convenient" Charles p. 29/09/2016
Having no major airports closeby, we travelled 1st class by DB train. Train was on time, staff very friendly and trip comfotable Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable and convenient " Nombulelo m. 29/09/2016
The best way to travel. Train is fast and comfortable. Make sure u not only buy ticket but reserve seat too, most people do, otherwise you will spend journey moving from seat to seat thruout the carriages. And it also guarantees that as a party you will seat together Value for money Convenience
- "Holiday started on wrong foot" Nikhil m. 28/09/2016
Firstly my booking experience was not so great as the price was changed after i have punched in my credit card details. though the difference was about 5% but the final price should have been indicated before the card details are to be entered. Traveled with my wife from Frankfurt to Lucerne on 18.09.2016 . Firstly the train arrived at station just 4 minutes prior to departure and it was a real slog to board the train with luggage. When we entered the coach and finally located our seats, they were all occupied by a group of people and their bags on the floor. The central table in compartment was full of empty bear bottles and plastic cups. the trash box was also full. Upon request our seat were promptly vacated but the trash on the table remained and also their luggage. The group was a fan club going for a football match and had occupied 3-4 compartments. The whole coach was very noisy and smelling of alcohol. There bags were in our compartment and every minute somebody from the group will come to take a bottle of bear/ rum etc. Finally the group left approx 2 hrs into the journey and order was restored but still all the four compartments for long distance travelers were full of empty bottles and trash. The trash was cleared by coach in charge. It was a bad start to my holiday after a hectic week at Automechanika Frankfurt. My wife was traveling with me and it was her First travel to Europe and first travel in European rail and it was a scary experience for her. Value for money Convenience
- "ICE Rail trip FRA - HAM" Michelle n. 26/09/2016
Trip was great. Cost of refreshments on the train are very high. Value for money Convenience
- "changing trains at Stuttgart " . 21/09/2016
had 9 minutes to change at Stuttgart to catch Munich train and it was VERY tight .
- "comfortable but too expensive " Mordehay p. 20/09/2016
the time (7 minutes) to change trains is not enough: we are not so young with 2 heavy suicases and we had to go up and down the stairs. As we reserved well ahead of time, the payment of ticket change insurance was almost equal to the price of the ticket which made it very expensive. there is not enough place for heavy suitcases and it was the younger and quicker you are you get the best storage place. Value for money Convenience
- "Lubeck to Copehhagen." John w. 15/09/2016
As usual, the train was exactly on time. It is an excellent way of getting around. The ferry connections were seamless. It certainly beats driving. Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent" . 30/08/2016
- "Convenient, needs improvement" Kerimi Erden g. 27/08/2016
The train was a bit slow (for an ICE rapid) and crowded. There were lots of extra passangers with no reserved seats in the train and they sat where ever they could including my own reserved seat while I was in the restaurant car. Otherwise, the journey was uneventful and convenient. Value for money Convenience
- "Berlin to Muinch" Nelson j. 23/08/2016
The ride was very comfortable and pleasant. There was however very little food by the time we went to the food cart. Other than that, the rest of the journey was very good. Would recommend to others. Value for money Convenience