Save ₹ 2,200 with code EUROPE1740 - book 3 months in advance
Save ₹ 1,500 with code EUROPE1724 - book 2 months in advance
Save ₹ 700 with code EUROPE1708 - book 1 month in advance
- Book up to 90 days in advance
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Any bonus that is free will use a travel day on your railpass. Discounted bonuses will not require the use of a travel day, but do require that the railpass is valid.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. Simply enter 1 passenger on the request page. The results page will display 1-3 passenger rooms depending on what is available. When booking a room that has more than one bed, the compartment is shared.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. No. There are no youth discounts for the extension. You can however have a discount if you are under 26 when buying a German Rail Pass. That means you will travel in 2nd class.
- A. The BritRail Family Pass allows one child between the ages of 5 and 15 to travel free with an adult or senior BritRail Pass holder.
- A. First class on the Talgo Day offers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the Talgo Day offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. You can request 2 passengers in a double compartment. If there are no Double compartments available, you can then book a shared T3 but keep in mind, the third bed will be occupied by another passenger.
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Good trip" Krishnaraj v. 15/01/2017
There were no other hassles as such. We felt that the price of the tickets were high. Value for money Convenience
- "Very nice experience with ICE" Nurhan Pinar t. 08/01/2017
These trains are very comfortable. They are also very fast. The journey we had from Munich to Stuttgart was very nice in general. Value for money Convenience
- "great" Ashish n. 07/01/2017
nice journey Value for money Convenience
- "Trip to Kolen from Amsterdam" . 02/01/2017
It was a good experience, difficult Part was finding the right compartment from the Amsterdam station. No officer was found on the plat form. Initially One train came, but my compartment number was not there, I went here and there, but no one was there to clarify. suddenly i saw 2 nd train has been attached with my compartment. I have to hurry with the time. This problem was not only for me but to other travelers as well. Need some mechanism to guide.
- "My trip to Nuernberg" Aahil j. 27/12/2016
It was my first time I go to Nuernberg .The train service was on time . the seat was comfortable .I had a chance to buy coffee from the rest wagon ,and the trip was enjoyable Value for money Convenience
- "First Class" . 16/12/2016
Travelled in first class carriage,the seats were adjustable, so comfort assured. Train was on time. Staff were polite and helpful. As part of our holiday is was a very enjoyable experience.
- "Ease and Comfort" Ruth c. 10/12/2016
Thank you Rail Europe. I did not experience any problems in this trip. You are on time, clean, and helpful-friendly employees. Value for money Convenience
- "great trip" . 04/12/2016
- "Enjoyable Ride from Munich" Chaw Sing h. 28/11/2016
I took the ICE train from Munich Central Station to Frankfurt Airport. The total journey took about 5 hours, an hour longer than scheduled due to weather elements and stops along the way. The ride was comfortable, very affordable and extremely convenient. The Wifi was not working for some reason but I had dataroam so was not a problem. There was refreshments (add-on) and the seat was very comfortable. I would recommend this to flying if you can afford the time as you can view the scenery and the different towns it stopped along the way. Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful ride" David c. 27/11/2016
Train from Hamburg to Copenhagen. Beautiful ride, including 50 minutes on a ferry. Clean train. On time. Nice scenery. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from Frankfurt to Berlin" Rachel h. 16/11/2016
Our trip was very nice. Comfortable, clean train. Only challenge was printing the tickets in Frankfurt. Once accomplished—a lovely ride. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Service" David h. 11/11/2016
On time, comfortable, helpful personell Value for money
- "Great experience." . 07/11/2016
Train ride was very comfortable and it was also very convenient to be able to check-in on to a Lufthansa flight at a counter just next to the train station, without having to queue in line at the at the airport at Frankfurt - great idea
- "Frankfurt Airport to Stuttgart" . 01/11/2016
Excellent on-time service, friendly train administrator who handed out some snacks and smiled. Very good.
- "Smooth Ride" Michael Beng Kim k. 01/11/2016
The ride from Berlin to Frankfurt was smooth except for late arrival and departure delay by almost 30 minutes. However the train caught up with time and we arrived in Frankfurt on time. There was nothing to complain but I feel that the quality of food served in the restaurant can be improved. Value for money Convenience