- Book up to 90 days in advance
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
- A. Italo offers different classes of service. Rail Europe offers 3 classes of service for Italo: the Smart class, the Club class and the Prima class. The Smart class is the equivalent of second class, where passengers have the following services: 2 dedicated stewards/hostesses and comfortable seats. The Prima class is the equivalent of first class, where passengers have the following services: A dedicated steward/hostess, welcome drink and snacks, daily newspapers, complimentary expresso and large reclining seats. A supplement is needed for catering service in Prima class. The Club class has the same services as the Prima class plus video screens and access to business lounge.
- A. With most passes the pass will start the when you get your pass validated by a rail official.
- A. No you can’t. You need to buy your Swiss pass before coming to Europe.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 pieces of luggage and 1 carry-on bag.
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. Yes all high-speed trains require reservations. Some 1st class trains include meal service in the price of your ticket.
- A. The best-selling Eurail Global Pass offers unlimited, 1st Class train travel in 24 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Bulgarian Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, France, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovenia, Portugal, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain, Sweden and Turkey. Choices range from 15 consecutive days to 3 months of travel or 10 and 15 flexible days within a 2-month time period, plus money-saving Eurail Global Pass bonuses. The Eurail Select Pass provides unlimited train travel for the duration you select in your choice of any 3, 4 or 5 countries that border each other, as well as attractive bonuses. Select from Austria, Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia/Slovenia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "great trip" . 04/12/2016
- "Enjoyable Ride from Munich" Chaw Sing h. 28/11/2016
I took the ICE train from Munich Central Station to Frankfurt Airport. The total journey took about 5 hours, an hour longer than scheduled due to weather elements and stops along the way. The ride was comfortable, very affordable and extremely convenient. The Wifi was not working for some reason but I had dataroam so was not a problem. There was refreshments (add-on) and the seat was very comfortable. I would recommend this to flying if you can afford the time as you can view the scenery and the different towns it stopped along the way. Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful ride" David c. 27/11/2016
Train from Hamburg to Copenhagen. Beautiful ride, including 50 minutes on a ferry. Clean train. On time. Nice scenery. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from Frankfurt to Berlin" Rachel h. 16/11/2016
Our trip was very nice. Comfortable, clean train. Only challenge was printing the tickets in Frankfurt. Once accomplished—a lovely ride. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Service" David h. 11/11/2016
On time, comfortable, helpful personell Value for money
- "Great experience." . 07/11/2016
Train ride was very comfortable and it was also very convenient to be able to check-in on to a Lufthansa flight at a counter just next to the train station, without having to queue in line at the at the airport at Frankfurt - great idea
- "Frankfurt Airport to Stuttgart" . 01/11/2016
Excellent on-time service, friendly train administrator who handed out some snacks and smiled. Very good.
- "Smooth Ride" Michael Beng Kim k. 01/11/2016
The ride from Berlin to Frankfurt was smooth except for late arrival and departure delay by almost 30 minutes. However the train caught up with time and we arrived in Frankfurt on time. There was nothing to complain but I feel that the quality of food served in the restaurant can be improved. Value for money Convenience
- "Lively people to travel with" Muhammad Tariq s. 24/10/2016
Enjoyed my trip with a group of young people singing all the way! Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent" Noel f. 17/10/2016
Was a great trip. Comfortable and the personal very friendly. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Experience " Ateeq s. 05/10/2016
Accurate Timing. Comfortable coach, Welcoming staff, Updated information system all were available in ICE. Booking office staff were rude, were taking lot of time in responding. Value for money Convenience
- "Seat/Coach Number" Nur Ruzanna m. 04/10/2016
I have sent my review for my other trip. It is the same. Poor seating/coach arrangement. People (mostly first timer) do not know how to search for their seat once they on board. People are moving with their luggage and it is hard. At the platform, we do not know where should we wait for the correct wagen/car/coach to be able for us to look for a correct seat. The staff at the waiting platform is not helping. They can always use sign language if their English is not good. We can understand that. But, no effort shows. Value for money Convenience
- "convenient" Charles p. 03/10/2016
train was delayed by 5 mins, but clean and good. Value for money Convenience
- "efficient and convenient" Charles p. 29/09/2016
Having no major airports closeby, we travelled 1st class by DB train. Train was on time, staff very friendly and trip comfotable Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable and convenient " Nombulelo m. 29/09/2016
The best way to travel. Train is fast and comfortable. Make sure u not only buy ticket but reserve seat too, most people do, otherwise you will spend journey moving from seat to seat thruout the carriages. And it also guarantees that as a party you will seat together Value for money Convenience