German Rail PassFrom ₹ 11,817 From ₹ 11,817 Germany : DB
Up to 20% off German Rail Passes
Get 20% off the 7, 10 and 15-day, or 10% off the 5 day German Rail Pass when you book the German Rail Pass Promotion. Offer valid until March 29, 2017. Travel by May 31, 2017.
- Unlimited travel in Germany and extra trips to Brussels, Prague, cities in Austria and Italy on selected trains.
- Discount for 2 people travelling together with the Twin Pass.
- Children up to 11 travel for free.
- Youth (12 - 27) discounts available
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The German Rail Pass is the most comprehensive pass to visit Germany, one of the most popular destinations in Europe. Discover iconic cities like Berlin, Munich, Leipzig and Frankfurt. Get even more perks by travelling beyond Germany! The German Rail Pass even allows you to reach:
- Brussels (Belgium) to Germany on board ICE international high speed trains.
- Kufstein and Innsbruck (Austria) on DB-OBB Eurocity trains.
- Bolzano, Verona, Bologna and Venice (Italy) on DB-OBB Eurocity trains.
- Prague (Czech Rep.) on DB IC Bus services from Munich and Nuremberg.
- Krakow (Poland) on DB IC bus services from Berlin.
The German Rail Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. There is no surcharge to travel on board ICE high speed trains, InterCity (IC) and EuroCity (EC). For ICE sprinter, international ICE to France, Berlin Warsaw Express and City Night Line trains, where reservation is necessary, German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special reduced fare. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The German Rail Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Hotel discounts, no surcharge when travelling on board German high speed trains, discounts when travelling on board coaches and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner the German Rail Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip, in Germany and beyond!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living in a non-European country can use the German Rail Pass. Please note that residents of Russia and Turkey are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
What is a Twin pass?A Twin Pass is a single pass listing the names of all people travelling together. It is offered to 2 adults travelling together.
- The 2nd adult get a 50% discount with the Twin Pass.
- Remember, children can travel for free with an adult. See conditions below.
Children under 6 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 6 to 11 travel for free. As a rail pass will still be issued for them, please make sure you include them in your booking. For guaranteed seats on board high speed and night trains, please remember to book a seat for you and your children.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
And the German Rail Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. You’ll get discounts on buses and trains, hotels, cruises & ferries, museums & activities, and more.
With the German Rail Pass, the benefits like the connections it provides - are everywhere. Whether you are an adventurous traveler or avid planner, the German Rail Pass is your pass to freedom and an unforgettable journey of discovery.
Discount for river boats on the Rine and Moselle
- The German Rail Pass offers discount for the river boats operated by the Köln-Düsseldorfer Rheinschiffahrt AG; between Cologne and Mainz on the Rhine; and between Koblenz and Cochem on the Moselle river. This offer is not valid for boats with cabins or multi day river cruises.
- More info: www.k-d.de
50% discount on steamer boats on the Lake Constance
- The German Rail Pass entitles you to 50% discount on steamers on the Lake Constance (German: Bodensee). Lake Constance can be reached by train, for example by travelling from Munich or Stuttgart to Friedrichshafen.
- The boats are operated by Bodensee-Schiffsbetriebe (BSB) between April and mid-October. BSB has ticket offices in Konstanz, Friedrichshafen, Lindau, Überlingen and Meersburg.
- More info: www.bsb-online.com (German only)
20% discount on Europabus Romantic Road
- German Rail Pass holders get 20% discount on the regular fare of the Europabus motorcoach on the ‘Romantic Road’ (German: Romantische Strasse). It runs daily from April to October on the route: Frankfurt/M - Würzburg - Rothenburg ob der Tauber - Augsburg - Munich - Füssen. Enjoy medieval towns, vineyards and the famous royal castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.
- The motorcoaches are operated by Touring Tours & Travel. We kindly advise to reserve seats about two working days in advance through Touring Tours & Travel, email: email@example.com, phone +49 (0) 69 719126 261 or fax +49 (0) 69 719126 156.
- It is recommended to reserve seats about two working days in advance on-line at: www.romanticroadcoach.de
10% discount on rack railways from Bayerische Zugspitzbahn
- With the German Rail Pass you get 10% discount on the rack railway trains between Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Grainau - Zugspitzplatt.
- These cogwheel trains are operated by Bayerische Zugspitzbahn. Garmisch-Partenkirchen can be reached by train in less than 1,5 hours from Munich. - More info: www.zugspitze.de
Reduced fare on the Expressbus Nuremberg-Prague and Munich-Prague
- German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special fare on the "Expressbus" motorcoach service from Nuremberg to Prague (Praha) in the Czech Republic.
- Discounted tickets and the compulsory reservations are available at the ticket windows of Prague or Nuremberg. In Czech Republic the special ticket and reservations are issued separately, while in Germany the ticket includes the reservation.
Discount on the trains for pass holders
- German Rail Pass holders have free access to trains however on long-distance trains such as ICE (Intercity-Express), IC (Intercity) or EC (Eurocity) reservations are recommended during peak travel times.
- The German Rail Pass exempts the holder from paying a surcharge on German High Speed trains such as ICE (except ICE Sprinter with compulsory reservation and supplement for special on-board service), InterCity (IC) and EuroCity (EC).
- Reservation is compulsory onboard ICE sprinter, international ICE to France, Berlin Warsaw Express and City Night Line trains and German Rail Pass holders are entitled to a special reduced fare.
A&O Hostels and Hotels: 10% discount on the daily rate
- The discount is granted for advance bookings only.
- Advance reservations can be made via the following channels – clients should mention either “rail pass” during the booking process: Online via the dedicated bookings link: www.aohostels.com/railpass By phone: free call numbers: 0800 225722 (within Germany) or 0800 228807 (within Austria) By phone – central reservations ++49 30 80 947 5110 Note that a valid pass must also be presented upon check-in The discount is granted in the following A&O Hostels and Hotels in Germany, Austria and Czech Republic.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
Q. Can I get a discount on train travel in Great Britain when I purchase a Eurail or Eurail Select Pass?A. No, but you are eligible for a passholder fare on Eurostar, which travels from Paris or Brussels to London. For travel in Great Britain we offer BritRail products to help you travel around the country.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. No, but we do offer discounted rate for many of our tickets and passes for Youth passengers. To qualify for a Youth Pass, you must be under age 26 on the first day of travel.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
answered | Posted by Jamie T. | Comments 1 | Created: 22/02/2017
answered | Posted by Graham H. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/02/2017
answered | Posted by Elshender E. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/02/2017
answered | Posted by Jennifer . | Comments 2 | Created: 03/02/2017
answered | Posted by Charles S. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2017
Reviews & ratings German Rail Pass
Overall rating (36)
Overall appreciationExcellent 50% Very good 35% Average 13% Poor 2% Terrible 0%
- "German Rail Pass" Craig t. 17/10/2016
A superb train network in Germany suited perfectly a business trip for me and some add on sightseeing. Easy, efficient and fast. For me it worked but make sure you need the flexibility of a pass as they're not cheap. But for my schedule which I couldn't be certain of each day the pass was excellent value for money. If you are just travelling within Germany as I was don't be bullied into paying extra for reservations. You don't need them. They're only necessary going from one country to another. Value for money Convenience
- "Traveling in Germany " Ai Hwee t. 08/08/2016
With the German pass, travelling in Germany is really easy, convenient and comfortable. Any delays are quickly minimised by immediate rescheduling of trains to make up for lost time and to get back to schedule. Amazing! Value for money Convenience
- "From top to bottom" Lynette h. 07/08/2016
We traveled by rail pass from Hamburg to Switzerland, via cities in between, and back again over the course of a couple of weeks. As usual we enjoyed the comfort, the speed, the views and the simplicity of booking and making connections. The food on the trains is nothing to speak of so we usually carried our own for the longer trips (longest about 6 hours). It's a relaxing and interesting way to travel in Europe. Value for money Convenience
- "Train without 1 st Class Cabin" Wing Ying w. 05/07/2016
That old train had no first class cabin and the rail staff just informed us to go to designated area within a second class cabin when we asked the whereabout of first class cabin. There should better be public announcement through the PA system. Value for money Convenience
- "Germany - September 2015" Dinesh s. 19/12/2015
Your passes are good and a real help in travelling. Though, I found that the Swiss pass (used in May 2014) was much better than the German pass. But overall, a Pass is a good buy. Value for money Convenience
- "No matter when we want to go" Ningchun h. 29/10/2015
It's convenient for us to go to everywhere at anytime, we just need to check the time of train and take it. Even our plan change, it's not necessary to worry about the tickets. But booking the seat early is important. Value for money Convenience
- "Best way to travel Germany" Catharina h. 20/08/2015
Enjoyable and safe travelling, no better way to explore Germany. Value for money Convenience
- "europa tour 2015" Hans Georg l. 20/07/2015
everything went perfect without any problems Value for money
- "Nice ride" Diana Yin Ping c. 16/07/2015
Have reserved seats in advance but found it rather empty didn't require reservation Value for money Convenience
- "German Trip" . 25/04/2015
It was value for money.
- "Travelling in Germany" Trevor i. 09/02/2015
Using this pass was a great pleasure. As expected German trains run on time and are well maintained. We were able to use all local public transport in even the smallest towns we visited. Value for money Convenience
- "Germany summer trip" Kwong Wah t. 01/12/2014
This is 1st time I travel to Europe, I select Germany for my destination. Germany pass help me a lot for organize my 10days trip in Germany. The train is very on schedule, during my 10days trip , only 2 time late, that is day 1 from Aachen back Frankfurt, is delay 30min. 2nd time is the train from Frankfurt to Wurzburg, train is breakdown on half ways around 30min. Another point need highlight, that is difficult to find a seat (by Germany pass is only can sit free seat) specially between Hamburg to Schwerin. Hope this can be improve. We also hope increase the night train between Hamburg to Frankfurt. Regarding the sale in Singapore, the service is fast but the cost for post the ticket to Malaysia is too expensive, is over charge for us. Regarding the web, that is very friendly for customer, just need let us know the summer offer in advance, because when I purchase in original price, the offer 25% after my ticket issue 3 days later , very sad cost lost a lot. We also hope that can be select 8 days or 9 days pass only can select 10days but I only use 8 days. I still thank to Germany pass because give me a wonderful Germany trip during this summer, that is unforgettable in my life. Value for money Convenience
- "Great pass" Pui Chi l. 15/07/2014
Can save money and easy to change the travel plan with pass Value for money Convenience
- "3-day Rail Pass" Suntheralingam v. 15/04/2014
Bought the above and travelled to a few cities in Germany viz Passau and Koln. Very convenient. No hassle. Just hop onto virtually any DB train and the whole of Germany is yours. Excellent and very worth it for long trips. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice and easy" Amit s. 24/02/2014
The trip was perfect. There was a delay in one of the train, but that was only for 15 mins and didn't affect my plan. Overall very satisfied. Value for money Convenience