BritRail Spirit of Scotland PassBritRail
- Unlimited travel in Scotland.
- Children under 5 travel for free.More details
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the most complete pass to explore Scotland. Discover breath-taking landscapes en-route to must-see destinations including Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, and Stirling.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Discount on Heritage Railways Association’s trains, discounted ferry trips, free bus travel and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner, the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass. Please note that residents of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
Children under 5 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 5 to 15 travel. Free travel limited to 1 child when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a valid BritRail Pass.
As a rail pass will still be issued for the child, please make sure you include him/her in your booking.
All additional children aged 5 to 15 will benefit from a discounted fare.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 20% discount on Northlink Ferries standard fares between Scrabster / Stromness - Aberdeen / Lerwick - Aberdeen/Kirkwall/Lerwick. (Valid only on day of sailing, and applies to reclining seat fares only, not cabin inclusive.
- Up to 20% off on participating Heritage Railways Association’s trains.
- Access to Scottish Citylink bus travel between: Oban / Fort William / Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh / Uig - Inverness / Ullapool - Oban / Campbeltown - Wick / Thurso.
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Mull with Bowmans Coaches.
- Free bus travel between Thurso / Scrabster - Wick / John O’Groats - Thurso / John O’Groats with Highland Country Buses.
- Free First Edinburgh services to/from the Scottish Borders (Kelso - Melrose - Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh (No 62); and Carlisle - Langholm - Hawick - Galashiels - Edinburgh (No X95).
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Skye with Highland Country Buses.
- Free services between Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh. Not valid before 09:15 a.m. Monday to Friday on all services except West Highland Line (Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig) and Inverness - Kyle Of Lochalsh/Wick/Thurso (North of Scotland lines)
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the best way to visit and travel Scotland extensively. Discover Scotland’s historic castles, gorgeous countryside and charming cities with unlimited rail travel within Scotland.
- A. Showers facilities are generally not offered on trains in Europe.
- A. When travelling to Switzerland, or departing from this country, your ticket does not need to be punched. Ticket inspectors will check your ticket during your Lyria journey. You should be able to produce currently valid proof of eligibility for the fare you have chosen at any time.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A.Refund policies for tickets will vary depending on the type of train and fare that are booked. Please check the "details" tab of each fare to obtain specific refund information for the fare you are purchasing.If you have already purchased your tickets, please review the terms and conditions that came with your documents. Except for PayPal, for which the amount can be reimbursed automatically on the PayPal account. For all the other payment services, a BIC (Bank Identifier Code) must be sent to receive the reimbursement of your purchase.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on TGV and if you are a pass holder, you still need to buy a TGV ticket. Among the passes available on TGV, you’ll be able to choose between Eurail Global, Eurail Select Pass or Eurail two country pass including France. France Rail Pass and France Rail Pass Premium are also among the possible options and offer last minute Easy Access reservations.
- A. We are unable to ship tickets purchased on Raileurope outside of your country of residence. We recommend that you have all travel documents in hand before departing from your country of residence.
- A. The minimum check-in time for passengers with Business First tickets is 20 minutes. For passengers boarding ski trains, and passengers holding regular tickets, check-in time is 30 minutes.
- A. Heathrow Express arrives in London's Paddington Station.
- A. To validate your German Rail Pass Extension, it needs to be accompanied by a German Rail Pass and your passport. Please note that the use of the extension requires a travel day of the German Rail Pass for each trip used.
answered | Posted by Ellie L. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by Samantha Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/07/2016
answered | Posted by Pooja W. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2016
answered | Posted by Gene F. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/05/2016
answered | Posted by HY L. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/04/2016